Saturday, May 23, 2009

Day Eight: Geelong & the Surf Coast



I take back everything I said about Victorian weather- it's fined up right on cue and the weather's perfect. We head west on the freeway before turning off to hike up Flinders Peak for a view of the surrounding plain. For the first time I'm starting to get a feeling of how wide and flat Australia can be here Wide LanD IS WIDE... We stop for provisions and lunch at Geelong (cat is long!) (someone really needs to do a longcat banner for the Cats in the AFL, hey I'd laugh at least!). Nice view from the waterfront there:


 

We then head down to Torquay and check out the surf Museum before stopping at Bells Beach. The surfs nothing amazing by Bells standards- but it'd have the waxheads frothing at the mouth just about anywhere else, it's about 6 foot and clean as.


 

I send my mate Sam who surfs in NZ an SMS just telling him I'm there just to annoy him. We then head down the Great Ocean Road until just south of Lorne where we stop for the night at the mouth of the Cumberland River, in what looks like a nice campground.


No comments:

Post a Comment